The Priv is the first smartphone by BlackBerry which does not to run the company’s(BlackBerry) OS or BlackBerry 10 platforms, instead it is running a version of Android OS customized with features inspired by those on BlackBerry phones and security enhancements.
The Blackberry Priv features a 5.43 in (138 mm), 1440p AMOLED display that is slightly curved around the horizontal sides of the device. The device is coated in a “glass weave” material at the rear. Its screen is similar to that of the Blackberry Passport in that the screen can be slid up to reveal a hardware keyboard which is also touch-sensitive and can register sliding gestures across its keys for scrolling, text selection, and autocomplete suggestions.
Chipset and CPU
The Priv utilizes a hexa-core Snapdragon 808 system-on-chip with 3 GB of RAM that consists of four low-power Cortex-A53 cores and twoCortex-A57 cores .
The Priv has a non-removable 3420 mAh battery which can last for 22-and-a-half hours of “mixed use”.
The Priv includes 32 GB of internal storage, with the option to expand the amount of available storage using a microSD card up to 2 TB in size.
The Priv runs on the Android 5.1.1 “Lollipop” OS using “stock” user experience customized with additional features and BlackBerry-developed apps and there is an expectation that the manufacturers will allow for an upgrade to the Android 6.0 “Marshmallow” in 2016.
The BlackBerry Hub which originates from BlackBerry 10 aggregates notifications and content from multiple sources and allows for granular management of messages. The BlackBerry Search and Google Search options can also be accessed alongside the Hub when swiping from the bottom of the screen.
The “Productivity Edge” feature allows a tab to be shown on either the left or right curve of the display, which can be dragged out to display an agenda screen.
- Manufacturer: BlackBerry Limited
- Type: Smartphone
- Form factor: Slide
- Dimensions(H * W * D): 147 mm (5.8 in) * 77.2 mm (3.04 in) * 9.4 mm (0.37 in)
- Weight: 192 g (6.77 oz)
- SIM: Nano Sim
- Operating System: Android 5.1.1 “Lollipop”
- System on chip: Qualcomm Snapdragon 808
- CPU: Dual-core82 GHz Cortex A57, Quad-core1.44 GHz Cortex A53
- GPU: Adreno418
- Memory: 3 GB
- Storage: 32 GB
- Removable storage: Up to 2 TB microSDXC
- Battery (Non Removable): 3410 mAh Li-Po
- Data inputs: Multi-touchtouchscreen, physical keyboard with touchpad
- Display: 43 in (138 mm) AMOLED, 2560×1440 pixels, 540 PPI
- Rear camera: 18 megapixels, 2160p video capture, phase detection autofocus, OIS
- Front camera: 2 megapixels, 720p video capture
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi: 11b/g/n 2.4 GHz, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot, GPS, Bluetooth 4.1, Micro-USB 2.0, NFC